Wednesday, October 6, 2010

I have to hide some of my books...

No, they are not rated R. But they are books my 14-year-old wants to read.

The other day when I came home with a big stack of library books, he scanned through them to pick out which ones HE would read! He immediately spied Eat My Globe by Simon Majumdar and announced his intention to read it. Before he could whisk it away to his room, I told him that I was going to read it first...if I have to wait for him to read it, I'll be waiting weeks. He tends to read about 10 books at once--no kidding! So it takes him awhile to get through one. I'm 2/3 of the way through Eat My Globe, and he can have it next. I'm really enjoying it, but I'm also getting a bit tired or reading about food adventures. Majumdar is heavily into meat--and all parts of it--and I think I've read enough about eating pork fat, tripe, calf's brains, and sheep's head--not to mention dog, rat, and rotten shark--to last me a lifetime.

The other day Mike was at the Garden Home library and spied a copy of Mockingjay on the shelves...it's the third in the series by Suzanne Collins. He immediately nabbed it for me (isn't he a darling?). I have had it on hold at Multnomah County Library, but I believe I'm hold 350 or something like that! I asked him to hide it from Chris. When I received Catching Fire (second in the series) as a gift, I didn't get to read it until a year later, because it disappeared into Chris' room. Mike said he'd stick it next to my side of the bed--on the floor. It didn't take long before old eagle eyes saw it. I've told him he gets it right after I'm done. Given that it's so popular, both of us will have to be done with it in about 3 weeks. It won't take me long, but he might have to give up his 10-books-at-once habit to get through it.

I suppose if I had daughters, they'd be stealing/borrowing my clothes at age 14. I know this is a GOOD problem to have...

No comments:

Post a Comment