Saturday, November 26, 2022

Books by LBGTQIA+ Authors

She's Not There: A Life in Two Genders, by Jennifer Finley Boylan 

I’ve read a number of books by trans authors, and this was not the best one but it was one of the earlier ones. Boylan wrote this book several years ago and reissued it on the 10th anniversary with new content. Overall, it was a good book and no doubt helpful when it was first published…but I found it lacking. 

 

Very little was shared about her inner life and struggles. As she is an east coast academic, the book was full of academic references and name dropping (and her constant references to “Russo”)…and at times I thought she just needed a good editor. The most memorable thing about this book was the extreme unhappiness between her and her wife. They claim they are happily married, but Boylan’s wife does not even use the word “wife” about her partner…and they have a sexless relationship. It just seems terribly sad all around.

 


Becoming Eve: My Journey from Ultra-Orthodox Rabbi to Transgender Woman, by Abby Stein 

Fascinating memoir about a woman who was raised to become a rabbi; she was descended from generations of rabbinical tradition. She left the Orthodox Jewish community, where men thank God each day for not being born a woman…and then she transitioned into becoming a woman. Pivotal in her coming out was seeing her baby boy get circumcised. A lot got left out in the telling…the book races to the end and we don’t really know what kind of relationships she has now with her family, especially her son and ex-wife.

 


Playing with Myself, by Randy Rainbow 

I was an early convert to Randy Rainbow. I started watching his videos before the fateful 2016 election. We attended his show several years ago when he toured to Portland. He’s a delight! So it was great fun to read his memoir.

 

And yes, Randy Rainbow is his real name.

 


Me, by Elton John 

I happened across this book in a Little Free Library and it was the perfect vacation read! I got my first Elton John album from my boyfriend in junior high. I’d also loved “Rocket Man,” which is based on this book. It doesn’t fail to entertain, and I learned a ton of new things about Elton John as well. Good fun amidst the heartbreak.

No comments:

Post a Comment