Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Eat Drink and Be Married: Meh

Eat Drink and be MarriedEat Drink and be Married by Eve Makis

My rating: 1 of 5 stars

I wanted to like this book, and I tried really hard...I got up to page 155 and finally gave up, because nothing seemed to be happening.

It's the story of a teenage British-Cypriot girl, Anna, living near Nottingham, England, where her family owns a fish and chips shop. Her mother is traditional and longs for her to marry a rich man, while Anna wants to go to university.

Up to page 155, the book is full of a myriad of characters--family members, customers, Anna's few friends--and the reason I stuck with it for as long as I did was that the background story was colorful and full of lots of descriptions and recipes of interesting-sounding Greek food.

But I found myself thinking about other books, and getting bored. I reluctantly decided to stop reading it, hence the one star. As soon as I picked up another book and got hooked, I knew I'd made the right decision.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment