Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Everyone Else's Girl: Returning home to dysfunctional childhood

Everyone Else's GirlEveryone Else's Girl by Megan Crane

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I found this in the condo we're staying at in Hawaii. It was perfect for a beach read, about a young woman who returns to her hometown in New Jersey and gets dragged back into her screwed-up family and high school relationships. The character development was lacking something, and I found that it all tied up into neat little packages at the end. The author has an England connection, which always appeals to me being married to a Brit, so I might check out some of her other novels (that have received better reviews). I liked the relationship between the protagonist and her spunky sister (the best character, in my opinion). I found it a bit hard to contemplate having a romantic relationship with someone who had joined in humiliating you as a kid...but maybe I'm just not forgiving enough!

In high school fortunately I steered clear from girls like Meredith's friends. Yikes!! I knew girls like them (and boys like Christian), but not well. However, I also have very few long-term connections from my high school era. So perhaps it was difficult for me to relate to the plot.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment