Thursday, September 23, 2010

How Perfect Is That: Parody of Austin socialites

How Perfect Is ThatHow Perfect Is That by Sarah Bird

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I almost didn't read this book after reading all the 1- and 2-star reviews in GoodReads...but I went ahead with it because I've enjoyed the rest of Sarah Bird's books.

The protagonist is indeed difficult to relate to, but that was the whole point of the novel. It was a parody of a certain type of Austin socialite. I'm sure knowledge of Texas would enhance the reading of this novel. I've never even been to Texas.

Overall, I enjoyed this story of a social climber who has fallen as low as she can go, who moves back in to her college-era, granola type shared housing situation and reconciles with her last true friend (who she had left behind during her socialite phase). It's a good satire on the materialism and shallowness of the Bush crowd in Austin.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment