Wednesday, September 22, 2010

How to Teach Filthy Rich Girls: Like eating a bag of potato chips

How to Teach Filthy Rich GirlsHow to Teach Filthy Rich Girls by Zoey Dean

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

After reading a number of much more serious books, this light frothy novel called to me from the shelves of the library. I'm not crazy about the term "chick lit," because it's too broadly applied to a lot of books by women...but if the book has a rags to riches story, including fashion, a plainish woman who suddenly becomes gorgeous and meets the man of her dreams, and gets the job of her dreams at the end...you've got chick lit. The career is usually journalism or marketing.

A supposedly brilliant Yale grad with $75K in loans is shocked to learn that she's not able to get a fantastic job in the NY publishing world right off the bat. When her life goes sour she gets a job offer to tutor two spoiled brat rich girls in Palm Beach, FL, for 2 months. If she's able to coach them into passing the SAT, she will have her college debts paid off.

By the end of the novel I was frankly tired of the designer name dropping, and the idea that she was "gorgeous," but all she needed were a great haircut, expensive makeup, and designer clothing to make it so.

I felt like I had just gorged on a big bag of potato chips...having eaten junk but not feeling filled up. I guess I need to read a two-star book every once in awhile to appreciate the really good ones!!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment