Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Invisible Wall: A Love Story that Broke Barriers

The Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke BarriersThe Invisible Wall: A Love Story That Broke Barriers by Harry Bernstein

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I loved this book. 93-year-old Harry Bernstein wrote this story about growing up in a Northern England mill town, on a street divided into a Jewish side and a Christian side. Like an English version of Angela's Ashes, his father was drunk and abusive, but his mom surrounded him and his siblings with love and dedication to doing the right thing for her children.

I give it 5 stars because I found it to be a truly inspiring story, one that will stick with me for some time. I am astonished that he wrote it at the age of 93. I can't remember details of what happened 20 years ago, much less 80 to 90 years ago!!! How do people write such detailed memoirs? Either they make up a whole lot of the details, or they have far superior memories than I have (or perhaps a bit of both!).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment