Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Losing It: Valerie Bertinelli's story

Losing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a TimeLosing It: And Gaining My Life Back One Pound at a Time by Valerie Bertinelli

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I debated between giving this one 2 or 3 stars, because it was incredibly light and a very fast read...but I guess I did enjoy it, mostly because of my childhood fondness for Valerie Bertinelli. It was not particularly well written--just okay.

I loved One Day at a Time as a young teen, and I loved the fact that Bertinelli played a goody two shoes, sweet teenager and made it look cool. I still remember our shared love of Elton John and her impersonation of him and singing "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" with Mackenzie Phillips dressed as Kiki Dee. On a business trip in Alaska a few years ago, I saw Bonnie Franklin in a restaurant and it was very exciting!

I never expected Valerie Bertinelli to be much of an intellectual...she is a few classes shy of finishing high school, and she was married to a rock icon...but it seems like she has a good heart and she appreciates good books and Mozart (her son is named after him).

I was surprised to discover that she was not a goody two shoes teenager like her clean-cut character--she was sexually active and using drugs before she turned 16. She dated some much older men (like Steven Spielberg) when she was still a teenager. She married Eddie Van Halen at age 20 before she really knew what she was getting into.

It's hard to understand why she stuck with Van Halen for as long as she did, especially because her own parents are still happily married. Didn't she think life should be more satisfying? She has struggled with her weight and some with drugs all her life. But she is a dedicated, loving mom and seems very genuine.

I read this book purely for sentimental reasons...and now onto headier stuff!!







View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment