Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Objects in Mirror Are Closer than They Appear: Women's friendship and strange choices

Objects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear: A NovelObjects in Mirror Are Closer Than They Appear: A Novel by Katharine Weber

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I bought this book for 2 pounds in England, and it's been on my bookshelves for years. I read it as part of my "READ THE BOOKS YOU ALREADY HAVE INSTEAD OF GETTING NEW ONES FROM THE LIBRARY" project. (I still get books out of the library, of course, but I am doing my best to read some of the ones filling up our study.)

I liked this book more than I thought I would--it was very well written. It's the story of an American woman, Harriet, who goes to Geneva on a photography fellowship and visits an old friend. When she arrives, she discovers that said friend (Anne) is having an illicit affair with a much older man. The book starts out in the form of a rambling letter Harriet is writing to her boyfriend back home, and then it changes format into third person halfway through the book. Personally, I was much better able to relate to Harriet than to Anne (whose motivation to be with a man who treated her shabbily I could not understand at all), but I found it interesting to read about the friendship between two such different women, and how they relate to the men in their lives.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment