Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Send Yourself Roses: Kathleen Turner speaking through the pages

Send Yourself Roses: Thoughts on My Life, Love, and Leading RolesSend Yourself Roses: Thoughts on My Life, Love, and Leading Roles by Kathleen Turner

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I read this highly conversational book as a break after Jane Eyre; talk about a complete contrast!

Kathleen Turner is a strong, opinionated woman, and her rising out of the ashes after her serious bout with rheumatoid arthritis (now in remission) piqued my interest in her memoir.

Do not read this book if you are sensitive to foul language. Turner (with the help of her friend Gloria Feldt) writes just as if she were speaking...with lots of colorful language and colloquialisms.

I enjoyed the descriptions of her stage and film work, as well as her strong commitment to public service. I had not been aware of her international upbringing. She clearly favors European life and culture over the U.S.' repressed sexual mores and attitudes toward women. (Can't say I blame her for that!)

She is a very interesting woman, and I enjoyed much of this book...but by the last 20 or 30 pages, I grew bored and scanned through the text until the end. That fact, combined with the extremely folksy writing, led me to give it just two stars.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment