Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Hunger Games: Reality TV in a dystopian world

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I went into work late this morning because I had to finish this book--that's how absorbing it is.

This book is reality TV and the world gone violently haywire. The only reason I gave it four stars instead of five is that I found the plot extremely disturbing...and I've reserved five stars for books that truly warm my heart (in addition to being excellent books). I could not get this story out of my head while I was reading it, and I'm sure it will stick with me for some time.

The thought of children killing children for forced entertanment and sport terrifies and sickens me. It took me to places in my mind where, as a parent, I really would prefer not to go...in a similar way to The Handmaid's Tale or The Road.

However, it was an excellent book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment