Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral: Interesting idea, but overwritten...

Annie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling FuneralAnnie Freeman's Fabulous Traveling Funeral by Kris Radish

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I really, really wanted to like this book. It had a great plot and premise. Annie Freeman dies of cancer, and before she dies she arranges a "traveling funeral" for her closest friends. She sends them airline tickets, rental car vouchers, and credit cards to take a journey around the country to places that gave her life meaning. In theory, it was a wonderful setting for a meaningful story about women's friendships and the journey of grief and life. I would give the idea three or four stars.

But the writing was exhausting to read. One reviewer said that it was "overwrought," and it was also overwritten. Long, runon, and flowery sentences and paragraphs, and way too much telling and not enough showing. The funeral doesn't even start until 100 pages into the book! The characters were too perfect and there was very little conflict or suspense.

I enjoyed some parts of the book--for example, the stories about their friend Annie that they uncovered along the way--but I found myself scanning great chunks of the book and anxious to reach the end so I could read a better book. Never a good sign.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment