Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Infidel: Violence perpetuated on women in the name of Allah

InfidelInfidel by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A friend loaned this book to me, and I'm anxious to discuss it with her. From the perspective of an open-minded, feminist Christian who tries hard to respect other people's religious beliefs, this book shook me up.

Hirsan Ali survived a horrible childhood in Somalia and Kenya and experienced a fraction of the horrors Islam can heap upon women in the name of Allah. I recognize that not all Muslims are abusive of women, and many Muslim women are happy and satisfied in their religion, but what is most distressing is the violence and abuse that is perpetuated on Muslim women and permissible, and even encouraged, in the Quran.

I find it intriguing that Hirsan Ali works for a neoconservative think tank in the U.S., and her belief that we are way too tolerant of Islam in the west is thought provoking. Perhaps as liberals we are too afraid of offending Muslims to stick up for the rights of oppressed women?

She is truly a hero and a very brave soul.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment