Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Street Lawyer: Lawyer gives it all up to work for the homeless

The Street LawyerThe Street Lawyer by John Grisham

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I didn't start reading John Grisham until a handful of years ago...in fact, I remember a book group meeting when Mike made a dramatic dismissive statement about Grisham and perhaps offended one of the lawyer members of the group. When I picked up The Painted House, I was happily surprised. Most of the Grisham books I've read have been well plotted and written. I enjoyed his first novel, A Time to Kill, the most. Grisham is no Tom Clancy...in fact, he seems to be fairly liberal and progressive, judging by his plots and undertones. Whether they are issues of race, poverty, or the death penalty, Grisham seems sympathetic to progressive causes and beliefs.

The Street Lawyer is about a well-heeled, affluent lawyer in Washington DC who, after a sequence of events, leaves it all behind to become a lawyer for the homeless. It's not as suspenseful or action oriented as many of Grisham's novels, but it gave me a wake-up call about the plight of the homeless and needy in our society.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment