Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Murder in the Marais: Mystery set in Paris

Murder in the Marais: An Aimee Leduc InvestigationMurder in the Marais: An Aimee Leduc Investigation by Cara Black

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This first novel in the Aimee Leduc PI series was flawed, but worth reading. I loved the idea of a private detective series set in Paris, and the plot--which begins with a murder of a Jewish woman, who had a swastika carved on her forehead--sounded interesting.

What made it flawed were the highly unrealistic plot elements (running across Paris rooftops in high heels, amazing recoveries from fights and injuries, a superhuman ability to crack computer systems) and the lack of characterization. Too many characters, and not enough development of those many characters. According to other reviews I've read, she apparently makes some French errors as well (not that I would know).

But flaws aside, it was an interesting read and it appears that her writing improves in subsequent novels (judging from the reviews).

So I will go on in the series! (Although I read this in 2008 and have yet to read the next one...)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment