Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Please Excuse My Daughter: Spoiled rich kid has child and tries to excuse her bad behavior

Please Excuse My Daughter: A MemoirPlease Excuse My Daughter: A Memoir by Julie Klam

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I would give this one 2-1/2 stars. I did keep reading, and I finished it. The writer was brought up as a pampered, privileged rich kid and was not taught to be independent or self-reliant. As an adult, she stumbles again and again, but someone is always there to bail her out (even though she doesn't feel that way). Despite the fact that she hardly ever went to school as a kid, she somehow ended up getting through college (and getting good grades), and lands two coveted entertainment jobs: (1) working as an intern for David Letterman, and (2) working on a VH1 show called "Pop-Up Video."

She and her husband reached rock bottom and were not able to pay their bills (or their $2,500+/month rent), but she still had a group of people around to bail her out, and she was still had privileges, which she doesn't really acknowledge. She does recognize what a great community of family and friends she has, but somehow I can't help but feel that she still wishes she could be a princess and not have to work for a living...and have her mom buy her designer goods like she does for her granddaughter.

Klam's daughter was born prematurely (at 33 weeks), which I found interesting. She seemed to handle that crisis much better than many less-important problems in her life. Otherwise, I found much of this book difficult to relate to (not having been raised in the NYC designer/celebrity environment) and not really what I expected.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment