Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Life at Grey Gardens: Weird, weird, weird...

My Life at Grey Gardens: 13 Months and BeyondMy Life at Grey Gardens: 13 Months and Beyond by Lois Wright

My rating: 2 of 5 stars

After seeing the play "Grey Gardens," I was interested to learn more about the dramatic and reclusive Beale women. If this account is to be believed, the play glossed over the reclusive nature of their situation--they actually had a lot more people coming and going out of their lives than represented in the play.

The author of this book, Lois Wright, supposedly lived with the Beales for 13 months...it's never explained why she moved in with them, or on the other hand, why she moved out. What didn't make sense to me was why on earth she would want to live in such a filthy environment in the first place.

It is obvious that this book was self published. It's riddled with typos and grammatical errors. It was in diary format, and much of the text was insubstantial and mundane.

I'm glad I read the book, since I did learn more about the Beales--but it certainly wasn't high-quality literature!



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment