Thursday, September 16, 2010

How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship, and Musical Theater

How I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical TheaterHow I Paid for College: A Novel of Sex, Theft, Friendship & Musical Theater by Marc Acito

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

At first I couldn't decide whether I found this writer's style annoying or clever. Then he grew on me. Acito is an excellent writer--he comes up with some very witty turns of phrase, many of them raunchy at the same time (e.g., "harder than calculus" to describe--you guessed it!). This book is not for the prude or prissy.

I have heard that this novel is based in truth, and I'm curious to learn more about that. These adventures are so madcap and far out, it's almost easy to believe they could be true. Its characters and conclusions are also not clear cut--they are full of shades of gray (in addition to the sexual preferences of the author and his friends).

I enjoyed this book and will read the sequel.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment