Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Jezebel: The Untold Story of the Bible's Harlot Queen

Jezebel: The Untold Story of the Bible's Harlot QueenJezebel: The Untold Story of the Bible's Harlot Queen by Lesley Hazleton

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Lesley Hazelton was a visiting professor at PLU when I was there--an expert in Israeli culture and history--so I was particularly interested in this book. I read one of her earlier books, Israeli Women, years ago.

Outstanding biography of the woman whose name has come to symbolize harlotry and idolatry. Through historical research and analysis, Hazleton proves that Jezebel represented tolerance and open-mindedness, and she was framed in the bible. And Elijah, who has come to be considered a hero in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam, was no hero.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment