Wednesday, September 22, 2010

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian TrailA Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

My friend Shelia urged me to read Bill Bryson, and he's an author I'd always intended to read but had not gotten around to yet. She recommended that I start with A Walk in the Woods, and it was a great recommendation.

It's not a book I would normally be drawn to...I'm not a hard core hiker, I've never been to the Appalachian Trail, and the plot just didn't appeal to me more than other books.

But the sign of a great writer is his or her ability to make nonfiction interesting and entertaining, even when the topic is not of particular interest.

I enjoyed Bryson's tale of his "walk in the woods" with his friend Katz. Interspersed with information about the environment, mining, species of plants and animals, and the trail itself, he tells of their grueling walk through the wilderness.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment