Thursday, September 16, 2010

Stitches: Illlustrating a disturbing childhood

StitchesStitches by David Small

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

David Small, in his graphic memoir, prompts his readers to question how a person can grow up with such a disturbing childhood and turn out "normal."

Small was not physically or sexually abused; instead he was neglected and treated with disdain by his parents.

He wakes up from what was supposed to be routine surgery with a massive scar and a missing vocal chord, rendering him silent for many years.

This is an upsetting story, depicted by stark, gloomy illustrations. It's a quick read--I read it in a couple of hours, and I'm not a fast reader--I suspect I might have given it more stars had it been longer. Very well done though not my favorite graphic memoir.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment