Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Teach with Your Heart: Lessons I Learned from the Freedom Writers

Teach with Your Heart: Lessons I Learned from the Freedom WritersTeach with Your Heart: Lessons I Learned from the Freedom Writers by Erin Gruwell

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I recently saw "Freedom Writers" (the movie with Hilary Swank), which was based on this memoir and Erin Gruwell's experiences teaching underprivileged kids in Long Beach, California. Gruwell is actually a controversial figure--take a look at some of the negative reviews on Amazon to see what I mind. I've also seen some anti-Gruwell comments on web sites as well. I think all her critics are being totally petty and ridiculous.

I found this book to be very inspiring and beautiful. I wouldn't describe it as well written or fine literature, but a simple story told from the heart. Erin Gruwell touched the lives of underprivileged kids (and continues to touch them), exposing them to literature and getting them to think differently about their lives and promoting tolerance. She has moved from teaching (while she was teaching at the high school, her fellow teachers were horrible to her because they were jealous) to training teachers.

If you want to read an inspirational story, I recommend this book.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment