Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Glory Days: Wonderful depiction of small town life

Glory DaysGlory Days by Joyce Mandeville

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I read this book in one day because I was laid up with a stomach bug. It's the story of Glory, growing up in Kansas in the 30s, and her family, community, and best friend Pammy. I loved the depiction of girl best friendhood--alternately bonding and calling each other "poo face." Glory was born out of wedlock, and Pammy was a Catholic in the midwest, so they were both oddballs of a sort.

Glory and Pammy think they have seen an apparation (of the Virgin Mary or Glory's grandmother), and soon all sorts of miracles start happening in their town.

It was a wonderful depiction of small-town life during the depression and also addressed the horrible grief of infertility and other losses.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment