Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Solo: Women Singer-Songwriters in Their Own Words

Solo: Women Singer-Songwriters in Their Own WordsSolo: Women Singer-Songwriters in Their Own Words by Emma Dodge Hanson

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I think I might not have been in the right frame of mind when I picked up this book. Perhaps because I had just finished the very dark The Road; who knows? I found myself scanning through some of these pieces...and I'm not much of a scanner.

The book was beautifully assembled, with black-and-white photos and essays by several women singer-songwriters such as Shawn Colvin, Sheryl Crow, Sarah Maclachlan, Jewel, Lucy Kaplansky, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Roseanne Cash, Suzanne Vega, etc.

The most valuable part of the book for me was to learn about some new singer-songwriters to discover. It was interesting to learn more about their background and how music has touched their lives. But I'm glad I got it out of the library.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment